Steph Z: 10 Things I Cannot Live Without
Written by Carrie Edelstein
Photography by Matt Marcincowski
It’s hard to believe Stephanie Zitzer was once 50 pounds overweight- the same woman who now shares the stage and keeps right up with YouTube sensation “The Fitness Marshall.” What started out as a venture into teaching Zumba exercise classes evolved into Steph Z Cardio Dance, an original dance workout you can find at events, rented spaces and fitness studios around St. Louis.
“I get all ages and all shapes in my classes,” Zitzer says. “We become moms, wives, and can just lose ourselves, and I see it happen all the time where people come in intimidated, and by the end of the class they are just totally into it. Sometimes I worry about moves being too sexy or lyrics being too explicit, but once a woman in her 60s or 70s came up to me after class and said I brought out her inner, well, let’s just say she was able to let loose and have fun!”
You can find Zitzer and her large following this summer at events at the Gateway Arch, Westport Plaza and some other pop-up locations. And when you see her, be sure to ask about the things she cherishes most!
1. Family and good friends.
2. Cardio dance and sweating everyday.
3. Rescue dogs Bessie, Twinky, and Stella.
4. Bar Method St. Louis, “It is the yin to my yang, when I am not dancing you will find me there!”
5. “My supportive amazing dance community, especially my posse of six, they know who they are.”
6. The active wear at Dimvaloo Active Living.
7. “My passion to help homeless animals and my charity, Athletes For Animals.”
8. Ryka shoes, “The only dance shoe I wear.”
9. Frida’s Vegetarian Deli. Zitzer is mostly vegetarian and maintains a low carb diet.
10. Helping people transform their bodies, minds, and lives.